L2P Learner Driver Mentor Program
If you are a learner driver who has no access to a car, no supervising driver to practice with or you are finding it hard to pay for the driving lessons you need, we have the program for you.
The Nillumbik L2P Learner Driver Mentor Program is for young people in the Nillumbik Shire having difficulties getting their mandatory 120 hours of driving lessons before they can apply for their licence.
We know how important it is to get your licence so you are able to get work, go to school or to simply go and hang out with your friends.
How it works
This program can help you by linking you with someone in the community who can share their skills and knowledge of being a responsible driver. Here's how it works:
- Fill out an expression of interest form to be put on the waiting list (it’s a popular program). Let us know what economic, social, geographic or other reasons you are unable to get your 120 hours, so that we know that you’re eligible for the program.
- We will meet to talk to you about the program if you meet the eligibility criteria.
- We will help you have professional lessons.
- Once we have a free spot with a mentor, we’ll put you in contact and you can organise with each other times that suits you both.
- We provide an automatic car to use in your driving sessions.
- When you are ready, we can support you through your driving test.
Send us an expression of interest using our online form
L2P in Nillumbik is funded by the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) and Bendigo Bank and managed by Vic Roads in conjunction with Nillumbik Shire Council.
Read Zara's story who recently gained her licence with the support of her mentor Frank.
Become a mentor
This program wouldn’t be able to run without the support of our volunteer mentor drivers. We are always on the lookout for people to get involved, so sign up here.