Nillumbik community has a number of leadership programs for young people aged 12-25 who live, work or study within Nillumbik Shire Council. The programs provide unique opportunities for young community members to work with likeminded individuals, develop leadership skills and make a positive impact on our community, through planning and delivery community projects.
Young Women Leaders of Nillumbik Awards 2022
Nillumbik Shire Council are proud to present the annual Young Women Leaders of Nillumbik Awards, recognising and celebrating the contribution of young women in Nillumbik to their communities.
Tying in with International Women's Day celebrations, these awards recognise and celebrate the contribution of young women in Nillumbik to their communities.
Awards are presented across six categories:
- Nillumbik Young Woman of the Year – Young women making a difference and leading change in Nillumbik
- Young Creative Leader -Young women using creative arts to represent, motivate and inspire community
- Young Sports Leader - Young women who lead and inspire others to participate in sport and physical activity
- Young Gender Equity Leader – Young women championing gender equity, wellbeing and freedom from violence for every women and girl
- Young Environment leader – Young women protecting and enhancing the environment
- Young Business Leader– Young women leading the way in local business
Women and those who identify as female aged 12-25 who live, work, study, volunteer or play in Nillumbik and have made an outstanding contribution to our community are invited to self-nominate. Friends and family can also nominate a deserving individual.
Nominations will open 4 October 2021 and will close on 17 December.
The awards will be presented at Nillumbik's International Women's Day event in March 2022. For more information: nillumbik.vic.gov.au/young-women-leaders
Nillumbik Nillumbeats FReeZA Committee
Nillumbik Youth are always looking for young, enthusiastic and innovative volunteers interested in joining their Nillumbik FReeZA committee Nillumbeats to help create, organise and deliver events for other young people in the community!
What you get out of being a Nillumbik Nillumbeats committee member:
- Gain experience and skills in event planning and management
- Receive mentoring from music and events industry experts
- Be a voice for your peers and advocate on local youth
- Develop leadership, communication and teamwork skills
- Increase your understanding of Local Government
- Gain hands-on project management experience and contribute to the development of your community
This program is for young people aged 15 - 25.
For more information on Nillumbik Nillumbeats , contact Molly Jessop, Youth Development Officer, Youth@nillumbik.vic.gov.au
Community Youth Leader Programs
Nillumbik Youth Productions
Nillumbik Youth Productions Inc is a non-for-profit incorporation, operated by youth, to provide accessible and inclusive opportunities for people to create and perform theatre and other art forms.
Nillumbik Youth Productions has been putting on an annual musical for many years. Originally a Council ran program, their previous productions include Hairspray, High School Musical, Grease and Rock of Ages. Their 2020/21 production is "We Will Rock You"
Find out more
headspace Greensborough Youth Advisory Committee
headspace Greensborough works closely with a group of young volunteers who provide valuable input into the centre to ensure it is accessible and youth friendly. Known as the YAC (Youth Advisory Committee), these passionate and committed young people get involved in a range of awareness raising and mental health promotion activities such as:
- Delivering presentations to schools and community groups on topics relevant to young people's mental health and wellbeing
- Planning and delivering mental health awareness raising events within the local community
- Providing important input into the ongoing development of the headspace Greensborough service.
For more information on the Expression of Interest process, contact headspace Greensborough
Diamond Creek Rotary
Interact Clubs bring together young people ages 12-18 to develop leadership skills while discovering the power of Service Above Self. Find out how serious leadership can be seriously fun.
Interact Clubs organise at least two projects every year, one that helps their school or community and one that promotes international understanding. Rotary Club sponsors mentor and guide Interactors as they carry out projects and develop leadership skills.
For more information on Interact
Rotaract clubs bring together people ages 18-30 to exchange ideas with leaders in the community, develop leadership and professional skills, and have fun through service.
Rotaract is a global organisation that empowers students and young professionals to create positive and lasting change in themselves, their local community and around the world.
Click here for more information on Rotaract