Nillumbik community has a number of leadership programs for young people aged 12-25 who live, work or study within Nillumbik Shire Council. The programs provide unique opportunities for young community members to work with likeminded individuals, develop leadership skills and make a positive impact on our community, through planning and delivery community projects.
Young Women Leaders of Nillumbik Awards 2021
Following the inaugural Young Women Leaders of Nillumbik Awards held earlier this year, Nillumbik Shire Council are proud to present the awards for a second year, recognising and celebrating the contribution of young women in Nillumbik to their communities.
These awards recognise and celebrate the contribution of young women in Nillumbik to their communities.
Awards are presented across six categories:
- Nillumbik Young Woman of the Year – Young women making a difference and leading change in Nillumbik
- Young Creative Leader -Young women using creative arts to represent, motivate and inspire community
- Young Sports Leader - Young women who lead and inspire others to participate in sport and physical activity
- Young Gender Equity Leader – Young women championing gender equity, wellbeing and freedom from violence for every women and girl
- Young Environment leader – Young women protecting and enhancing the environment
- Young Business Leader– Young women leading the way in local business
Women and those who identify as female aged 12-25 who live, work, study, volunteer or play in Nillumbik and have made an outstanding contribution to our community are invited to self-nominate.
For more information: nillumbik.vic.gov.au/young-women-leaders
Nillumbik Shire Council – Youth Leadership Group
Nillumbik Youth are currently planning an exciting project that will involve the recruitment of young leaders aged 16-25 years old who are passionate about being involved in their community and representing the views, ideas and needs of young people in the Nillumbik area, to form part of a Youth leadership group in Council. The Youth Leadership Group will:
- Advocate to Council for opportunities, barriers and/or issues impacting on young people in Nillumbik
- Provide advice to Council about how these issues can be addressed
- Develop local initiatives and projects for young people
If you would like to express early interest in being involved please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications and more information will be made available in Jan 2021.
Social Connection with Purpose
Social Connection with Purpose is an exciting new project in partnership with YACVic, funded by the VicHealth Partnership grants. The project will aim to improve mental wellbeing via positive social connections among young people. It will achieve this by combining social connection with purpose, building and diversifying young people’s social connections, and increasing their competence and confidence to engage with and influence decision making in local government and community institutions, undertake advocacy and even run for office.
Nillumbik Youth will be recruiting up to 30 young up and coming leaders across the community to participate.
If you are interested in this opportunity please contact email@example.com to express your interest or to find out more. The project is anticipated to take place in Term 1 2021.
Nillumbik Unplugged FReeZA Committee
Nillumbik Youth are always looking for young, enthusiastic and innovative volunteers interested in joining their Nillumbik FReeZA committee Unplugged to help create, organise and deliver events for other young people in the community!
What you get out of being a Nillumbik Unplugged committee member:
- Gain experience and skills in event planning and management
- Receive mentoring from music and events industry experts
- Be a voice for your peers and advocate on local youth
- Develop leadership, communication and teamwork skills
- Increase your understanding of Local Government
- Gain hands-on project management experience and contribute to the development of your community
This program is for young people aged 15 - 25.
For more information on Nillumbik Unplugged, contact Nicola Clutton, Youth Development Officer, Youth@nillumbik.vic.gov.au
Community Youth Leader Programs
Nillumbik Youth Productions
Nillumbik Youth Productions Inc is a non-for-profit incorporation, operated by youth, to provide accessible and inclusive opportunities for people to create and perform theatre and other art forms.
Nillumbik Youth Productions has been putting on an annual musical for many years. Originally a Council ran program, their previous productions include Hairspray, High School Musical, Grease and Rock of Ages. Their 2020/21 production is "We Will Rock You"
Find out more
headspace Greensborough Youth Advisory Committee
headspace Greensborough works closely with a group of young volunteers who provide valuable input into the centre to ensure it is accessible and youth friendly. Known as the YAC (Youth Advisory Committee), these passionate and committed young people get involved in a range of awareness raising and mental health promotion activities such as:
- Delivering presentations to schools and community groups on topics relevant to young people's mental health and wellbeing
- Planning and delivering mental health awareness raising events within the local community
- Providing important input into the ongoing development of the headspace Greensborough service.
For more information on the Expression of Interest process, contact headspace Greensborough
Diamond Creek Rotary
Interact Clubs bring together young people ages 12-18 to develop leadership skills while discovering the power of Service Above Self. Find out how serious leadership can be seriously fun.
Interact Clubs organise at least two projects every year, one that helps their school or community and one that promotes international understanding. Rotary Club sponsors mentor and guide Interactors as they carry out projects and develop leadership skills.
For more information on Interact
Rotaract clubs bring together people ages 18-30 to exchange ideas with leaders in the community, develop leadership and professional skills, and have fun through service.
Rotaract is a global organisation that empowers students and young professionals to create positive and lasting change in themselves, their local community and around the world.
Click here for more information on Rotaract